Frequently Asked Questions
- How can you train a dog in one day?
- Training a dog to understand basic commands is easy if you do it in the right order
with a method of communication that a dog naturally understands. A dog can usually learn
a command by the end of the third repetition. The tough part is training the owner to
deliver each command in a way that the dog understands. A large part of the training is
teaching the owner how to speak "dog". If you are not satisfied with the change
in your dog's behavior at the end of the session, you do not have to pay.
- What do you train the dogs to do?
- Your dog will learn five basic commands: Collection (Pay Attention), Sit, Down, Doorway
behavior, and Recall.
- How long does it take?
- An average training sessions lasts about four hours.
- Where do you do the training?
- The training is done at your home or a location of your choice. There are no travel fees to locations within the
- What kind of training collar do you use?
- The training collar is called a Sprenger Pinch Collar.
- Why do you use them?
- Pinch collars are the most effective way to communicate with your dog. The prongs
in the collar mimic a dog's teeth, and allow you to "speak dog" to your dog in a way that
he or she understands. Pressure applied using the collar resembles one dog "cuffing"
another signaling a command.
- Does it hurt the dog?
- No, when the collars are used properly they should not hurt the dog at all. Try
wrapping a pinch collar around your wrist and apply pressure. You can feel the prongs,
but they do not hurt or pinch as people often think.
- Why do I need a leather leash?
- The leash is an extension of your arm and it is made of animal skin. In
addition leather will retain your scent.
- Where do I buy the leash and collar?
- Most pet food stores sell the leashes and collars. You may also purchase a leash
and collar from Steve at your first training session. Refer to the Guarantee &
Rates page for current prices.
- What if the training doesn't work?
- You do not have to pay for the session if you are not satisfied with the results.
- What if I have problems with the dog after the training session?
- The training fee covers any follow up required after the initial session. Steve
will call at least twice to check on your dog's progress. If you need a follow-up visit
to work on a particular problem, that visit is also included in the price of your training.
- Can you teach the dogs to stay off the sofa?
- At your house, of course!